A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, November 27, 2006

I was sort of hovering in the kitchen, debating the relative merits of white wine vs slightly stale prawn crackers (part of a much wider debate currently raging between liquids and solids) when Stuart rang.
"How are you babe?"
"Having a dilemma. What do you think, white wine or prawn crackers?"
"Isn't it 10am with you? It's just a suggestion, but hold off the wine for another two hours at least."
"But, if you were to open a bottle of wine now as well, then that would have us drinking at the same time. Which would take some of the stigma of drinking at breakfast off me. Somewhat."
A pause in which I could tell he was trying not to roll his eyes.
"No. So what are you doing?"
"Trying to open this bottle. You have any idea how hard it is trying to use a corkscrew and hold a phone?"
"And carry out a conversation at the same time?"
"Don't be rude."
"Hang on, since when were there prawn crackers in my flat?"
"I'm not at yours, I'm at my mothers. It's great fun."
"Really?"
"No. I'm hungry. And I can't open this bottle."
"Why aren't you at the flat, eating real food?"
"Because I don't live in your flat."
"You were too living there until a few nights ago."
"Non, I was visiting until a few nights ago. As a guest. That's different from living; the first implies sex, the second committment and wardrobe space."
"I guess I can clear out a few shelves."
"Now why would you do that?"
"I'm not entirely sure; I think it has something to do with wanting sex five nights out of seven."

My boyfriend. What a charmer.

4 Comments:

  • At 28 November, 2006 08:05 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    What a fabulous idea! I'm going to email Miss T or Dora & Tina in Australia next time I feel like drinking wine in the morning. There's nothing wrong with sharing a drink or several with friends, no matter what time zone one happens to be stuck in.

    Stuart's obviously got no idea ;)

     
  • At 28 November, 2006 14:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tis indeed a fab idea...

     
  • At 29 November, 2006 17:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A charmer indeed. Apparently, it's a common male characteristic as my boyfriend recently cited his primary motivation for wanting to move in with me as "Easy sex." I have yet to agree to this.

     
  • At 30 November, 2006 21:56 , Blogger Megan said...

    There is no such thing as an unacceptable time to drink. At any given time, it is a socially acceptable time to drink somewhere in the world. You just need to find the right time zone and celebrate it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home