A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, November 13, 2006

It's that time of year again; the last of the yellowing leaves are clinging desperately to certain trees, giving a slightly shabby and decadent air to streets that, in every other season, would instead be described as respectable. I always associate this time of year with coal fires and steaming clothes hung before the fire to dry, and with toffee apples and chestnuts; despite not liking either one. Joel did, and so they're laced with my consciousness. This time of year also heralds the start of the Christmas rush; I'll be out in the street whether in Liverpool, Manchester or London and if I run into a crowd, I think "Oh, nearly Christmas. Better not leave present shopping til the last minute again!" in the sort of mock jovial tone I always use, unintentionally, when I talk about Christmas. When I think of winter I see drab, overcast weather, but when I think of Christmas? I see clear skies; I see walking through Piccadilly Gardens clad in silly hat, scarf and coat, mittened hand held tight by my companion, our breath rising in clouds before us.
Memory is instant coffee and smoke. He was there with me, Starbucks and cigarette clasped in the same bare hand, the other never letting go of mine for an instant, not even when he misjudged the coffee:tilt ratio, getting the drag on his cigarette but losing half his coffee to the street beneath our feet. On that night, we had the whole place almost to ourselves.
I was cold, hurt and lonely, not wanting to go home, so we spent those early hours of the morning outside, sitting by the fountain necking vodka and smoking excessively, talking, talking, talking. He invited me back to his, "Everybody's gone home for Christmas cupcake, we'll have the place to ourselves," and the usual connotations weren't there, everything we'd been torturing the other with for the last few weeks. I went, and eventually I fell asleep on his chest, the first time in days. I woke up on the sofa with his arms wrapped around me as he slept, his cheek pressed against mine, and everything made sense, because I wasn't cold or hurting or lonely.
I just lay there for a while, while he radiated warmth. He smelt of smoke, the kind of smoke you get from a wood fire, not tobacco, and, under that, expensive bubble bath. Everything I love. And I realised, that everything we'd said, everything we'd done didn't mean we didn't love one another, or that we wouldn't be there when the other was cold.

7 Comments:

  • At 14 November, 2006 04:51 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I blog hopped over to you through several different people, and I wanted to let you know that your writing is beautiful. I have always had bittersweet feelings toward the Christmas-y time of year, for similar reasons.

     
  • At 14 November, 2006 09:06 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    What a lovely and emotive post. It almost made me want to like Christmas again. Almost.

    * sigh *

    Another man-free Christmas...

     
  • At 14 November, 2006 14:04 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    darling, this post made my heart sigh. all the hurts always seem worse this time of year. i wish my boy and i could come to the same sort of understand you and joel did, because sometimes you really do just need someone to keep you warm and nothing more.

     
  • At 15 November, 2006 00:14 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hate Christmas but my hate is deep rooted.

    That could be because I lack the affection you two express to each other, which whilst making my grumpy self go 'bah', makes my pleasant side go abit mushy...

    Yep, DeVice, another man-free Christmas...

     
  • At 15 November, 2006 03:26 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    everything about this post is beautiful.

     
  • At 15 November, 2006 10:30 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    I actually like Christmas....perhaps because it's hot over here and feeling anything at all just makes you more hot?

    Actually I think I really like Christmas because I spend most of it drunk.

    This year will be sad, because Tina won't here to get drunk with me.

     
  • At 15 November, 2006 21:18 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    what megan said. and what inexplicable said, except for the part of manless xmas. i'm one of the lucky ones. xxx, c

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home