A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Rock Bottom..

... has been duly hit. The intellectual highpoint of my week?

Tom: *giggles slightly to himself as he fishes a Penguin wrapper from down the side of the couch* Ah. Listen to this- Why do Penguins carry fish in their beaks?

Chorus: *warily* Go on...

Tom: Because they haven't got any pockets.

*shocked pause*

Flick: Oh dear.

Me: They're just not trying anymore, are they?

Tom: Did they used to be better than that? Or have we just reached maturiosity?

Me: I like to feel we've all reached sophisticosity, which is the important thing here. But maturiosity? *starts biting nails*

Flick: No, we need another few years yet. *coincidentally, her hair was in pigtails*

Tom: So why aren't they funny anymore?

Flick: Never funny.

Tom: *thoughtfully* Is this like how yo-yos and pogues aren't fun anymore?

Me: Hang on... *fishes Theo's yo-yo out of bag* I always assumed yo-yos would be fun, but my mummy never bought me one of those singing flashing ones, so I gave up. *tries and fails to do something with it*

Tom: *takes yo-yo off me and starts doing complicated things* I always thought the fun part was getting it wrong. *spends next hour playing obsessively with it, while we recall old Penguin jokes*

Q. What kind of fish do penguins eat at night?
A. Star fish.

Q. What kind of music do penguins listen to?
A. Sole music.

See? Never funny, although it took us most of the afternoon to work that out. Did they ever try?

*horrified pause*

Flick: Oh my word. Shall we move on?

Me: I feel like a pillar of strength has been toppled.

Flick: I'd offer you a tipple, but you're still looking a bit green 'round the edges.

Tom: You know what else sucks?

Me: Vacuums?

Flick: *giggles behind her hands and puts on lisp* thounded like a DIRTY quethtion.

Me: *throws cushion at her, as she stares pointedly at me*

Tom: Well, OK. But you know what metaphorically sucks?

Flick: *sniggers endearingly*

Me: *throws another cushion* Black holes?

Tom: You know what isn't cool?

Chorus: Lava?

Hee. I like to think we've reached maturiosity.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home