A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, February 27, 2006

Confessions Circle

He gave me an appraising look over the top of his drink, and I smiled back nervously.
"Call me," he said, taking out his phone and snapping my picture.
Cue psychobabble- "Oh, I can't. I mean, I want it, but I gave my phone to a hobo last week, I mean, I don't usually do generosity but.. oh, no. I buy the Big Issue and that so.. but no, I mean, I was having a drunken spat, and I haven't got a new one yet cos the shop didn't have any of them in in pink, and..."
He smiled then, a real smile, and wrote his number on the inside of my arm, "just in case you accidentally lose it."
At door he paused and looked back at me.
Walking over, he took my drink out of my hand. "I'll be lonely if I go home now," he said, sipping on my cocktail. "Do you want to come back to mine?"

* * *

A few days later saw my return to the same pub, but this time with different company- my Alec and Sophie flatmates, Sophie's rather charmless girlfriend Gnome flatmate and a few others. We walked in, chatting away, then simultaneously turned from the bar and claimed a table on the opposite side of the room to where we were originally headed. The table sported several used glasses and a smoking cigarette tray, but it had one thing going for it- a clear view of Him.
We sat in silence for a moment, before hurriedly commencing our original conversation.
Gnome came back from a trip "to powder my nose," and caught us all peeking across the room under our eyelashes.
She laughed, and we all started surreptitiously checking for dribble.
"C'mon, be honest, who's had him?"

Silence.

Alec downed his drink and grinned slightly, hiding behind his jazzy new braided hair. He half raised his hand, "freshers week, last year" and two others followed suit, "freshers week, this year"
Determined to keep my dignity I slunk off my seat in the direction of the ladies, but was stopped mid-slink by the threatening glances cast towards my handbag and a few poisonously coloured cocktails that promised to leave a lovely accidental stain if I ran away from all this.
"Oh OK, fine, I had him the night before last. Well, not had him because thats a horrible expression, but... yeah."
We all turned to stare at Sophie and Gnome, the only two remaining.
"Us?" They both grinned, "Unlike you lot we're able to make up our minds- we don't do boykind."

Looks like lesbianism is the only way to avoid the charms of this one.

9 Comments:

  • At 27 February, 2006 17:57 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    I'm intrigued, can you post a photo of him up here? I'm pretty sure I wont have had him on account of the Being A Lesbian thing but I might know someone who has :)

     
  • At 27 February, 2006 18:20 , Blogger Imogen said...

    *grins*
    I'll see what I can do, but will I run the risk of being branded a Sour Puss of a Stalking Miss who can't get over him?
    Unsuprisingly, he has a fair few of them..

     
  • At 28 February, 2006 20:40 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    Just tell him you're converting he notches on your bedpost to images to monitor your Alcohol to Standards ratio :)

     
  • At 02 March, 2006 05:28 , Blogger Snooze said...

    That's just a hilarious tale. He sounds quite impressive

     
  • At 03 March, 2006 17:20 , Blogger B said...

    I've been catching up on your blogs after a midterm week of hell and I just LOVE how you tell stories. I loved the lesbianism line because I knew exactly what you meant.

     
  • At 03 March, 2006 18:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dirty dirty boy.

     
  • At 03 March, 2006 21:12 , Blogger Tickersoid said...

    Good story.
    Strange when I was young, I wanted to be an 'Alex'but didn't have what it took.
    In my late forties, I suddenly found it easy, but no longer wanted to.
    Maybe the two are related.

     
  • At 04 March, 2006 17:32 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Don't you just hate it when the sexy, confident ones are complete slappers?

    Irritating bastards.

     
  • At 07 March, 2006 13:36 , Blogger Lee said...

    Oh you poor thing!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home