A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Une feuille

I've managed to terrify myself into turning over a new leaf, by the deceivingly simple but unbearably harsh means of absentmindedly looking in the mirror- scary stuff; puffy eyes (think, MIB beetles), big hair (think, natural beehive do) and a weeks worth of eyebrow regrowth (think, cookie monster).
I'm just blessing my lucky stars I'm not a peroxide blonde, cos I don't think I'd be able to bounce back from the sheer shame of living with contrasting roots.

Thank you all, by the way.

Cigarette in hand (fuck! What happened to quitting?), I waited til the flat was empty then proceeded to lug a bin bag full of That Bloody Womans chick lit, rom-coms and anything of that ilk down the stairs and abandoned it by the back door.
I fled it's guilt laden stare and didn't stop til safely back behind the locked door of the flat. I lit another cigarette, hands shaking slightly from the sheer physical exertion- I haven't had that much exercise in a week, alright? And realised I was leaning, back against the door-

This rom-com stuff really gets to one's subconscious, doesn't it? All the situation needed was for J to come aknocking, and possibly proposing, just to set the scene. And, because of the RC infiltration, I would neither answer the door nor tell him what a complete bastard he is, although I might tell him half heartedly that I don't want to see him, before seductively opening the door with perfect hair and clean teeth, and just happening to be clad in a silky negligee. Although that said, the Rc production teams aren't into smokers these days-
its neither big nor clever, children-
So maybe I'd escape that little melodrama.

But perhaps I'm just bitter I don't live in a film full of incidental dance numbers and mood music.

6 Comments:

  • At 15 February, 2006 23:53 , Blogger B said...

    don't be bitter about the fact that you aren't miss perky pants, living in a world full of incidental dance numbers and mood music. those people are just annoying as fuck.

    and as for peroxide blonds...I think there should be a rule that if you're dumb enough to do that to your hair, then you should have to continue the ritual weekly so that the rest of us don't have to look at your ugly roots that are sprouting at the top of your head.

     
  • At 16 February, 2006 20:08 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Right, well I'm going to be controversial and say I like root regrowth, as long as it's under 3/4 inch. Any more than that and it doesn't look deliberate.
    Glad you're out of the rom-com. Next step get into european por...I mean 'arthouse' *grins*

     
  • At 16 February, 2006 21:13 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    Christ girl, if taking the rubbish out knackers you you'd be buggered if you had to perform a synchronised dance everytime you wanted to make a point ;)

    (PS: I let my roots grow and call it a statement. I also like to pretend I'm punk)

     
  • At 17 February, 2006 04:12 , Blogger Snooze said...

    You should never look in a mirror absentmindedly. Mirror gazing can only ever be a planned event.

     
  • At 17 February, 2006 12:12 , Blogger Imogen said...

    *giggles*
    Well, I now have pink hair so I'm sure my opinion of contrasting roots will change soon enough
    :)

     
  • At 17 February, 2006 17:23 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    At least nobody will mistake you for Cookie Monster now. I can't think of a pink muppet (and can't be arsed to google one) so can't come up with a humourous comment at your expense : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home