A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, February 06, 2006

Of Mobile Phones and Admitted (Minor) Mistakes

"Oi! You at the back there!" was the sound which dragged us unceremoniously out of our comparative Shakespeare induced stupour. Forcing our eyes back into focus and bringing an abrupt end to our individual fantasies, we looked up.
Sigh. Another half hour to go. But the yelling wasn't over.
"I am NOT being paid to watch a class full of obnoxious students sex texting under my nose!" He smiled then, and there was a collective gasp- smiling makes such a difference to some people's faces. Half the class began to slip back into their Individual Fantasy- exactly the same as it had always been, but with a new face in the starring role.
Exposing a previously unseen side to his character- before today I'd have described him as somewhat melancholy looking with a penchant for mouth breathing and mildly unfortunate ears, but this has changed my opinion; I can admit it when I'm wrong, y'no- he continued; "Right then! If you won't bloody stop, I want a 6000 word essay with the heading 'A day in the Life of a Mobile Phone', and I want it handed back to me personally this time next week."
Instant silence, a straightening of backs, and a furtive shuffling of mobile phones back into pockets. The room even lost its green tinge as laptop users rapidly closed all games

As we left, she came shuffling over, "I have to plot it and everything! What kind of storyline shall I use? Should it get stolen? Or broken? Chewed on by a small child? Or maybe," she went on, a manic glint of enthusiasm in her eyes, "it could even get traded in!"

Good lord. If that had been me I'd have dropped the class.

80 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home