A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Of Fat and Fiction

"If you're fat, then I'm tall- and lets face it, noone could ever say that about me."

I found this letter, you see, that one of my favourite people in the world- Laura- wrote to me in our first year of college; I'd spent the night before with a friend. Leaning out of the window the next morning I kissed her goodbye, then she pulled back, squealing "oh my god you've got a fat bulge!", and then ran away from the bus laughing.
Cue paranoia and instant bad mood. Bitch- I don't talk to her so much any more.
Later that afternoon in double history Lau started concernedly (later, she informed me she was alerted to the depression by a lack of laughter at our teachers insistence that "Germany does not exist!") flicking bits of paper at me from across the room, and the above letter was born.

What Miss Lau missed out on, quite rightly, was my Irrational Pregnancy Fear- something all parents-to-be should take note of; if you will insist on sending your impressionable daughter to a boarding school run by a failed nun, then that child will forever carry the burden of the Irrrational Pregnancy Fear. This fear exists, like alll good phobias, despite all evidence to the contrary. Of course one can't get pregnant from sitting on a boys knee- but the Irrational Fear ignores such biological facts, and the thought springs to mind every single time. I've managed to lessen my Fear through years of decidedly loose morality, but the thought lingers on even today- four years after being exempt from her misguidedly diligent care- bringing a half smile to my lips.

Mrs Timpson had the kind of attitude towards alll members of boykind that is more commonly preserved for sheltered children on their first visit to the zoo; trepidation and wonder. She was the terrifying voice of comfort and concern-

Gain two pounds? Been holding hands with a boy? Tsk, you're pregnant.
Feel poorly? Been sitting on a boys lap? Pregnant.

God forbid the boys from our partner high school should ever dare to cross the empty space on the dance floor at school discos and ask one of her charges to dance.
It was always much more fun to hide in our rooms playing spin the bottle with the more worldly of these boys.

The first time I saw a tiger- being one of the sheltered children mentioned above; to this day I've never been to the zoo and have no intention of going- I was in Turkey, and there was nothing between us but a set of bars; despite knowing the tiger would have my arm if I ventured past the confines of the cage, there was nothing I wanted more than to touch it. In my less lucid moments I still regret holding back- sometimes.
Mrs Timpson had a similar attitude towards men; it was widely acknowledged- ie, a schoolyard fact- that she'd abandoned her chaste vocation at the nunnery after a fleeting eyes-met-across-a-crowded-room moment; and the real story, as I found out later, wasn't far off.
Tick. Playground rumour's seldom wrong.
Sex Ed lessons were possibly the highlight of my highschool years. Every lesson was a treat, from the first "We are not here to talk about sexual positions girls so be quiet and pay attention! Sexual intercourse is no laughing matter, you could come a great cropper one of these days!"
To the last- why one should never ever go to the cinema with a boy, even if he offers to pay and even if you feel gratitude for being bought a nice meal (because it's dark, and it's the nature of all boykind to take advantage of unsuspecting girls and have their wicked touchy way with them, if you must know). Although I don't kow about you, but I was never taken for a posh meal by a boy during high school. Of course, the uniform might have had something to do with that- I never did look good in blue, but I have always adored hats, blue, straw, or otherwise.
*Adjusts beret*
But it's thanks to her, the lovely Mrs T that, despite being condemned to a lifetime of the Irrational Pregnancy Fear, I've never had any problems with the whole condom side of things*; I was putting condoms on boiling tubes before I was unwrapping tampons. Fact.


*On that note, does anyone have any idea where I can get a polka dot condom from? There's nothing I like more than novelty condoms. But not for one night stands- the one night standish members of boykind tend not to have the biggest sense of humour when, giggling, you pull out a glow in the dark condom and insist on using it.

5 Comments:

  • At 21 February, 2006 22:46 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    What about sharing a drink with a boy? That's bound to get you up the duff!

    What are you going to use a polka dot condom for, then? Snapping it across the room? Or, making a water balloon?

     
  • At 21 February, 2006 23:09 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Well, glove puppets, obviously enough.
    And I want one ever so much- I'd google it, but I'm too scared of getting an e-bay ad of the kind Lady Muck had; "new and used polka dot condoms available".
    *giggles*
    I don't think my nunnish sensibilities could handle it.

    And she said nothing about sharing drinks.
    *thinks back over last five years* Oh my good lord.. I MUST be pregnant.
    Thanks for that!

     
  • At 21 February, 2006 23:15 , Blogger B said...

    Google "polka dot condoms." I'm sure you'll find some.

    Beecause if Google can't find it, then it doesn't exist :)

    And if I were you, I would've punched ol' Laura in the face for saying something like that. Only I'm allowed to acknowledge my fat rolls...everyone else can just shut the hell up about it (haha).

     
  • At 22 February, 2006 10:49 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    My sister got thrown out of a sex ed class once. When discussing where sperm went she piped up "or you could just swallow it."

     
  • At 22 February, 2006 17:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I dunno where to get them, but if you find out, let us know!
    PS, there is no fear of pregnancy that could possible be percieved as irrational lol ;-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home