A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, February 05, 2007

Is it any wonder?

I was nine years old when I stumbled upon the book Death, Dissection and the Destitute while going through the book shelves in search of Treasure Island. It was certainly a grand coming to terms with what my mother as Dr. and head of department deals with on a daily basis. I sort of waved the book at her at the time, expecting admonishment and an apology- and she told me to read it, because it was 'utterly fascinating.' I flicked through it. Lots of long words. Lots of mental images that haunted me for years.

I thought that this moment in all its rather gory glory (sorry, sorry) couldn't be topped; but actually it turns out I was wrong. My mother is currently applying for a pay rise at her hospital and has left little written notes to herself scrawled on envelopes around the house -
Reason to grant this No. 2: Have identified weakness in departmental and trust protocols for handling the bodies of dead patients.

This time my coming face to face with her job doesn't come complete with pictures, so you'd think it would be monumentally less vivid. You'd be wrong.

I did, of course, have to ask about this. I don't care if it turned up again - they lost a corpse on its way to the hospital morgue. They. Mislaid. A. Corpse.

I hate my imagination right now.

__________________

Two week hiatus. Back soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 07 February, 2007 23:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmmm,

    Might be a cannibal in the hospitl... look for the bones and hard bits.

     
  • At 08 February, 2007 12:13 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Quick! Check the freezer......

     
  • At 08 February, 2007 20:29 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    I like the sound of both the DDD book and the corpse misplacing. I'm imagining that hilarity would ensue!

    So, you're not around for two weeks. Does this mean the delightful Toby will be taking your place again?





    Toby? Where are you?

     
  • At 09 February, 2007 13:01 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm on strike. She'll have to ask me before i try to fill her mildly inept shoes: my recent attempt to explain, slightly drunkenly, that having a blog is like having a baby backfired after she pointed out she'd signed up for the blog. But, uh, yes. I'm not supply story teller ing.

     
  • At 11 February, 2007 15:45 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Bah!

    Have it your way, then.

    You'll only get one of these: x

    Love, IDV x

     
  • At 13 February, 2007 15:06 , Blogger Megan said...

    How does one lose a body? Is it particularly easy to do? And if they lose them periodically, does that mean there is a chance someone could accidentally find one?
    Have a wonderful hiatus.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home