A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Missing Author

So Imogen's gone missing.

Well, not missing per se but she ran away with Joel for the weekend, leaving me a post-it note demanding I update for her.
Now, a few weeks worth of Philosophy exams haven't exactly made imagination forthcoming, so story-time might suffer as a result; so I'm going to talk about Miss Im and Joel, who seems to take the title bed-bolster these days.

They have a strange relationship; I read a book last year which mentioned that people have a sort of mystery partner who they'd drop everything for, if asked.

That'd be them, except I don't think Joel would go quite so far as to ask her to abandon her degree to join him in doing whatever it is he actually does with his time, nor would she ask ask him to drop everything and run away with her to live on a cruise ship in the south of France.

Not that she'd do that anyway- she spent a chunk of time doing that during her gap year, and learned the lesson about the less than nourishing effect salt water has on skin and hair and nails.

So it works out ok, and all that really happens is Joel turns up and spends the following few weeks ostensibly sleeping on the sofa but actually sleeping in Imogen's bed (she might bitch and complain about this, but that's what they do), and occasionally he'll kidnap her for a weekend of thoroughly decadent behaviour.

He does presume too much, but it doesn't bother her in the slightest- she loves him, with a big 'L' and an excess of 'O's.

Should I delete this before she gets back and yells at me?

So they've gone; I'm not sure where yet, as her post it note was too full of inane details ('he won't let me pack for myself- is that bad?' and also 'the blog needs updating; you will do it, won't you darling?' plus the 'you might be daft as a brush, but I love you regardless' closing bit. What a flatterer, eh?) and her mobile's turned off.

But she'll be back soon, to relieve me of my task and with stories that'll regale even the jaded and chill the coolest heart.

Until then though, you have me! That'd be Toby, by the way. Are there any story requests?

5 Comments:

  • At 22 June, 2006 21:57 , Blogger Clarissa said...

    Yes! Yes! Give us all the dirt while she is away from the blog! All the news that's fit to print, that she would edit out! ;-)

     
  • At 23 June, 2006 12:55 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Toby (such a lovely name)

    Tell us about how you and Im first met. Unless it's a boring story, of course. In which case, tell us an exciting story about your good self.

     
  • At 23 June, 2006 22:42 , Blogger Dinah said...

    Ooh! I second that meeting story.

    I would like to think that I wouldn't drop anything for anyone, but I probably would. I don't like that answer, but I think it's the most true. Is that bad?

     
  • At 24 June, 2006 10:54 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Meeting story coming right up then- I take my duties as blog temp seriously!

    *Ellie* ~ I have lots of stories, but what is and isn't fit to print?
    *Inexplicable Device* ~ Stop it now, you're making me blush!
    *Dinah* ~ I think it's.. foolishly romantic, but Imogen wouldn't agree with me on that. Of course, she'd also deny that she'd up and leave if Joel asked her to, but tell me, just what has the wench done this weekend?

     
  • At 25 June, 2006 09:22 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    I love hearing any story about Joel and Imogen. It's like having a soap opera play out in blog format.

    Toby, you tell any story you like, but I do agree that the story of how you meet would be great.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home