A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Persnick

"Will it make my tongue turn blue?"
"Nope"
"It won't turn me green, will it?"
"No."

I paused for a moment, considering other options, eyes narrowed.

"Will it turn my mouth yellow?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Rosie waved a paper bag in my direction. "Have one," she suggested.
Cautiously, I leaned forward and picked a sweet out of the bag- a bad idea to begin with, but I've never been able to resist things that rustle just so enticingly.

*smooths skirts, basks for a moment in the lovely rustly noise*

"What is it?"
One of those sour penny sweets, of course. I hesitated for a second- "Will it make my tongue turn blue?"
We could have done that for hours, going through all the colours of the rainbow- although personally I don't feel there's much distinction between Indigo and Violet anyway, and much less so if my tongue's just been dyed that colour by possibly toxic, impossibly sour, penny sweets.

Slightly reassured, I threw caution to the wind and the sweet into my mouth.
Missing on the first try- I lost out big time when coordination skills were being meted out- and the little green ball rolled away across the floor, followed by the kitten.
She came and sat on my lap, and handed me another.
One look at my face told her- "Don't spit it out," she said warningly, "it's my last one."

It's that same old thing, isn't it- to spit or to swallow, to spit or to swallow.

No way in hell was I swallowing this.

Then, she leaned forwards and kissed me.

Well, actually to be more precise and persnickety about it, she leaned towards me and took the sweet out of my mouth, but whatever.

Swings and roundabouts.


And I like her so much I'll even settle for a sweet exchanging scene, if actual kissage isn't an option.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home