A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Personal Gain, and the Resurrection of my Conscience

It's that time of year again- university interviews for wannabe undergraduates, and my uni is buying me a yellow trenchcoat in return for guiding the nervous interviewees around campus. The fact that I'm never on campus except when it's absolutely unavoidable has no impact whatsoever on my ability to lie;
"Oh yes, our uni campus really honestly and truly is great! You don't even need to leave it, everything's available at any hour!"
Certainly available, but not necessarily in available in working order.

I haven't sold my soul, just billing for time, expenses and a new trenchcoat. Plus, these lies are a tradition, almost as old as the one that means Trinity College get to keep a mallard in the rafters, or the one that allows us to openly mock the students of Kings. I was told them when I turned up for my interview and so was everyone else I know, and we're none the worse for it. And we're an OK uni, even if we are haunted by the statue of Jeremy Bentham.
*shudders*
Ugly gentleman, quite a forehead.

My uni is largely filled with Oxbridge rejects, and I can't go too far down the negative road on this since I'm one myself. All the best people were rejected by Oxbridge after interviews; those who were rejected outright don't count and are generally Bitter Types who like to trot out the line;
"I could have gone to Oxford, you know"
to new acquaintances; they're the ones who tell you about it at first meeting and make sure you don't forget- obnoxious is generally one of the first words one would use to describe them:

So am I naughty for giving her blatantly wrong instructions when she asked me to explain in a step-by-step guide for idiots how to use the tube?

As my ability to lie increases in direct proportion to whats in the situation for me, my conscience is a largely dormant creature, but when it does rear its ugly head I have no means of counteracting it. Alec flatmate sent me a link, which turned out to be a game where one misses the last tube and, predictably enough, gets murdered.
Sheesh.

3 Comments:

  • At 17 March, 2006 17:24 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Ooh, I was just reading yours when you commented at mine.

    Can't think what I was going to say now as I have an image of Margaret Thatcher in her blue two piece scolding your ugly, big foreheaded statue.

    Nice.

     
  • At 17 March, 2006 21:06 , Blogger B said...

    So am I naughty for giving her blatantly wrong instructions when she asked me to explain in a step-by-step guide for idiots how to use the tube?


    No, you're not naughty. I probably would have done the same thing.

     
  • At 18 March, 2006 11:16 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    Lying to new people is a tradition the world over, its kinda like a rite of passage. Not lying to them would be breaking centuries of tried and tested fun.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home