A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, January 02, 2006

Francophonie

With thanks to Mimi in NY (my apologies, but my absolute bone-idleness means I've yet to figure out how to link within posts so please see links column) for reassuring me about my passport issues- one is going to Paris!
About two years ago I spent a year in France getting to grips with my French; it turned out that while I could have a detailed conversation about the environment Francais and the government's foreign policy, I couldn't get a cooked piece of meat for love nor money. I have, however, overcome that slight quirk- quand en France je suis une vegetarienne, c'etait plus facile- and am hugely excited about this impending jaunt.
I've never been to Paris. Ruon, yes; Nice, yes; Lille, yes; but never Paris. I have extensive plans for this five day visit, and may never come back- possible hypothermia not withstanding, how could I not love the idea of a place that has been described like the following;-

"Every city has a sex and an age which have nothing to do with demography. Rome is feminine.. London is a teenager, an urchin, and, in this, hasn't changed since the time of Dickens. Paris, I believe, is a man in his twenties in love with an older woman."

"In Paris, you learn wit, in London you learn to crush your social rivals, and in Florence you learn poise."

- Poise?
It looks like Florence is next on the list. A future of mini-breaks looms ahead of me- I also sewed* up a hole in my gloves, ironed a skirt and went food shopping this morning; 2006, year of impending domesticity.

*Which resulted in widescale sniggering, and threats about future gifts- a thimble, anybody?

4 Comments:

  • At 02 January, 2006 14:42 , Blogger Snooze said...

    Enjoy Paris! Enjoy the Parisian men. The domestic bout is fitting as you can't wander the streets of Paris with a hole in your glove.

     
  • At 02 January, 2006 18:16 , Blogger Tabby Rabbit said...

    Ahh, yes. Parisien men, *sigh* (goes off into a daydream).

    On the fashion side: watch out on the underground system if you have a low-ish cut top on, keep covered up or expect a great deal of comments/leering looks.

    Amusez-vous / enjoy!

     
  • At 02 January, 2006 22:14 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    Linking in posts is the same as links in the sidebar m'dear. Use the < a href.... tag.

    And this concludes todays lesson :)

     
  • At 03 January, 2006 19:46 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    When you do learn to link, you'll positively scream like a banshee! I did. Although the excitement soon wore off... I've only linked two things...

    WV: ppbzb = pp Beelzebub. I quite often get this on the bottom of its letters to me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home