A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Friday, December 23, 2005

Benrik- whilst rocking the hobo look

Last Christmas I was bought a copy of Benrik's Diary 2005, and the year since has seen me use in it in a somewhat unorthodox manner- after flicking through it in a Christmas induced mulled wine and cooking sherry haze, I found an entry for "make a baby day". I pity any kids born nine months to that date; how rubbish would it be not to be the sole centre of attention on your birthday?
So, I tend to flick through the diary and undertake whatever task fate demands.
Today, I had to ask a stranger for their honest opinion of me- I wasn't allowed, of course, to get spruced up or do the whole hair taming thing so i just went for it.
Strange the sense of kinship one gets when hobbling down Petticoat Lane in a cut down prom dress with scary hair and smudged makeup from a hard night. Fortifying myself with a mug of coffee with rum shots- at 9:30am, admittedly, but it must be after 7pm somewhere in the world, I spied a lady with a Father Christmas hat giggling amiably to herself. Hurling myself out of the cafe door, I thrust the diary at her and filled her in on my task.
Silence.
Then, "You seem somewhat impulsive, quite quiet but a little vain, outgoing and independent."

Slight addiction now though, I'm dying to ask someone else. Impulsive and vain, me?

5 Comments:

  • At 24 December, 2005 10:48 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    How VERY dare she!

    She'd probably been at something a little stronger than a couple of shots of rum to be wearing a santa hat and giggling to herself at that time in the morning.

    I hope you have a good Christmas.

     
  • At 30 December, 2005 23:49 , Blogger Imogen said...

    The sad thing is that she's completely right.
    Hmmm.
    Vanity, thy name is Imogen.

     
  • At 31 December, 2005 09:36 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Actually, I've just re-read what she said and it's not all bad. Just think, without a little impulsiveness no one would get anything done and the world would still be stuck in the dark ages.
    And the vain thing: At least you're concerned about your appearance and show consideration to others. I mean, who wants to be frightened out of their life by a half made-up, hedge-haired, "I'll wear what ever clothes stick when I roll in that pile on the floor" type person.
    I think Vanity's a lovely name!

    Thanks for the link and Happy New Year!

     
  • At 31 December, 2005 17:06 , Blogger Mimi NY said...

    Re: your passport, we're in the EU, you can travel to Paris on your driving licence and passport as ID to corroborate it. If you don't feel comfortable you can get an emergency passport by devoting a whole day to queuing at the Passport place with the forms filled in and the photos signed by someone who knows you on the back. My passport got stolen 6 days before I was going to Argentina and my lovely Dad queued at the passport office in Liverpool on my behalf and got it in 24 hours.

     
  • At 01 January, 2006 15:59 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Mimi- I may actually love you.
    Good thing I never got round to telling him I couldn't go- disorganisation and procrastination have their merits.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home