A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Of Employment and Empathy

Following my nose- which has become very sensitive after years of living in various student hovels- I entered the shop.
"Scusi," I said, after having queued behind hordes of panic buyers. "Dyu need any staff?"
He looked me over appraisingly, and I began to wish I'd gone home first and brushed my hair and teeth, and hadn't thrown on the first thing I found on the floor; namely, a pair of my boyfriends jeans. I twitched uncomfortably, and tried not to mind his frank top-to-toe stare. I winced slightly, and tried not to giggle nervously.
"What size are you?" he asked me blithely.
Isn't there a law against this kind of thing? But if it'll get me a job, with possible staff discounts in the best smelling place in the city then.. Oh, if only my old driving instructor had had the same attitude- it'd make going back to my parents' for Christmas so much more fun.
"Size eight. Why?" He tossed his head towards the street, in the direction of the elf-girl with the slightly scary forced smile and blue hands.
"She needs replacing. Fancy it?"
I stared in horror. Its minus several million degrees outside, and he wants to pay me minimum wage to stand on a gaudily painted revolving barrel, wearing an admittedly fabulous and covetable green and white elf dress. Hmm.
Silence, and my eyes begin to water from a prolongued look of wide eyed shock.
He gave me a few minutes to think about it, in which time I bought my body weight in products. Paying the cashier, I decided I really needed this job.
He returned with the elf outfit, and smirked slightly at the bags as I tried (unsuccessfully) to nonchalantly hide them behind my back.
"I'll guess do it."

And that's the story of how I got my first job ever.
And possibly hypothermia, but at least I look good in green- and, as my lovely Alec flatmate pointed out, I'll have something to wear to the impending Christmas parties.
But only if my imagination fails me.

3 Comments:

  • At 14 December, 2005 19:46 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    The important thing is:Did you make enough money to pay for the body-weight of products you purchased? And were they any good? Oh, and what are the prospects for promotion? Will you get a more elaborate (and, one hopes, warmer) costume?

     
  • At 16 December, 2005 17:17 , Blogger Lee said...

    *Fabulous*

    That is all.

     
  • At 16 December, 2005 20:03 , Blogger Imogen said...

    One has recurring nightmares about the prospects of a more elaborate, albeit warmer, costume- Father Christmas beard, anyone?
    *shudder*
    Ah, the joys of student work!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home