A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Friday, November 25, 2005

Of Skirts and Statistics

I heard on the radio just t'other day that the average woman spends 90 minutes getting ready to go out, and because I really have nothing better to occupy myself with I decided to test the theory- so heres my preparation itinery.

17:10- Crawl home and hurl freezing cold self in shower.
17:35- Watch neighbours, armed with tin and polka cup of coffee, mirror, brush and hair straightners.
17:40- Burn self on straightners.
17:42, 48, 53 and 55- see above
18:00- Throw straightners across room in hissy fit (all 3 feet of room) and beg my beautiful Sophie flatmate to take over.
18:30- Hair all done and dusted.
18:35- Find self irrevocably drawn to chess game hidden beneath sofa to avert ridicule and mockery; me and Sophie started this abut two weeks ago and keep coming back to it in quiet moments.
19:00- Realise Sophie and everyone else has been ready to leave for about half an hour.
19:01- Commence hunt for clean clothes; it would appear that yet again my clothes haven't washed themselves.
19:05- Commence hunt for red glittery boots.
19:08- Decide on underwear; progress.
19:10- Get changed. Swap skirts with my beautiful Sophie flatmate, and remove the remnants of days makeup. Start over.
19:15- Spill bottle of makeup remover on Sophie's skirt.
19:18- Contemplate wardrobe.
19:35- Decide on new outfit. Shimmy out of sodden clothes and shimmy self into teenytiny red dress.
19:40- Smudge lipstick in manner not unreminiscent of Marilyn Manson. Make coffee for all. Visit balcony, and nearly freeze to death.
19:50- Stare at pile of clothes, desperately seeking something similar to what I'm wearing, but warmer.
19:59- Give up.
20:17- Ensure cupboards are well stocked with Lemsip, coffee and paracetamol.
20:30- Fall off the back of the sofa and ladder stockings.
20:35- Swear. Loudly. And consistently, until someone pays attention to my plight.
20:45- Ready!

I ask you to bear in mind that it took me at least half an hour to find a working pen and some paper, even if I did give up and use eyeliner and a mirror for accurate note-taking.
*Mutters under breath, counting on fingers*
I can't count. How long is that?
I think its about four hours.
Good lord.

UPDATE: Todays Independent informs me that 98,000 people in the UK can't count- I'm not sure how comfortable I am with being in this classification, but the thought of enrolling in remedial maths lessons for those with More Important Things To Focus On During High School (namely, during a double lesson last thing on a Friday, which is, quite frankly, perverse) makes me want to cower behind the nearest Big Thing, with i-Pod on full blast.
Its one of the key joys of my life that no-one's likely to spring mathematical questions at me out of a kind of perverse enjoyment- or for any other reason. "Girl! Whats 9 45ths to the power of 3!?"

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home