A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, August 24, 2006

My adamant insistence that I was going to spend my birthday in bed- first asleep until mid afternoon, then sulking under the covers with wine and birthday cake until it ended was ignored and overridden, when the first text message came through at half seven this morning. Despite valiant attempts to get back to sleep, the little beeping noise my phone makes every ten minutes when I have a message/ missed call meant I had to get up and find it- which took a good twenty minutes.
By which time I was well and truly awake, but still doing a good job of ignoring that I'm now officially a, well, a...

A grown up. I believe that's the correct terminology here.

Good lord, but twenty is old. It feels it, anyway- although you wouldn't know that by the way I'm scoffing my birthday cake; it has a poisonous shade of green icing with different sponge sections, shaped like a childs drawing of a caterpillar.

Of all my childhood obsessions- and those include the Famous Five, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sleeping Beauty- there's one I haven't grown completely out of, and that's Peter Pan. Of course! I had to pick the most potentially ruinous of the bunch.

I don't seem to be bitching to the right people- and not least because all of my friends (except the odd undesirable) have abandoned me in favour of the Carling festival. So who did I choose to bitch to first? With my usual precision for this kind of thing, I chose the lovely person who sent me that message at half past seven this morning- namely, Ca.
I sent her one back, and got a reply- "wait until you're forty, thats fucking weird and all babe".

Fair point.

In desperation- if I have to be awake for the whole of my birthday I might as well have some company, after all- I even asked my mother to take the day off work but to no avail. My baby brother's at his friends' house, and my little sister has gone pony riding for the day- my mother owning a small glue pot of the beasties notwithstanding, she still prefers to pay to ride other peoples. So I have the house to myself, am bingeing on cake and anime, wearing my purple polka dot pyjamas, fluffy slippers with a flower on them and my oldest brothers dressing gown- who says I can't have good time by myself? It turns out lying is not the most fun a girl can have with her clothes on. Well, not only.

Imogen:* x

15 Comments:

  • At 24 August, 2006 13:57 , Blogger Clarissa said...

    Oh, yes, 20 is old.

    I'm still only 18. Ok, actually I'm only 30. In my head. Anyway.

    Happy birthday to the fabulous imogen!

    Finally I get it about right?

    xxx, e

     
  • At 24 August, 2006 14:18 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, darling, I feel for you, even if you have insulted me TWICE in the space of one post. You've got me wondering about filling in those pension forms my bank keep sending me, and, more importantly, am I one of the 'undesirables' because I'm not going to Leeds fest?

    But, being nice, I checked it out on the internet, but no-ones working on a cure for adulthood yet. Maybe you should change your degree and do something about that?

    x x x

     
  • At 24 August, 2006 14:20 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I forgot to say it, didn't I?


    Happy birthday beautiful.

    x x x x

     
  • At 24 August, 2006 16:29 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Ellie- third time lucky, and all that. Thank you!

    Toby- you're a complete and utter fool. Need I explain? I'm officially old now, so it's too late for me. Why on earth would I want to save other people from the same fate?

     
  • At 24 August, 2006 20:45 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Happy Birthday!

    It's too late for some of us - no amount of cure is going to revert us. I for one am glad. There's absolutely no way I'd want to be 20 again. Not even 25. 27 would be ok, though.

    I hope you've had a fabulous day in your fluffy slippers. Look on the bright side - You'll never have to go through the ordeal of being 20 again!

    Love, the Host xx (These are for Toby: xx)

     
  • At 24 August, 2006 22:15 , Blogger Tim said...

    HAAAAAAPPY BIIIIIIIIIRTHDAAAAAAAY!

     
  • At 24 August, 2006 23:55 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm with IDV- I don't want to be 20 again either. 22 is juuust right. But it's very selfish you know, refusing to work on a cure for ageing just because you've joined our ranks. Don't you care about future generations?

    T x x x x x x x - share them out between you.

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 00:56 , Blogger Imogen said...

    No. Not in the least.

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 01:18 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    God, you brat.

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 02:03 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Hypocrite.



    Why are we doing this?

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 02:13 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Comparing insomnia patterns?
    I'm feeling very bereft, it's been AGES since I've seen you sugar.

    xxx

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 02:33 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Don't worry, when we're rich we can have our chauffeurs drive us round to one anothers' mansions.



    And I do not have insomnia! I'm unemployed- there's a difference.

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 02:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    While picking up more pension forms from l'old home I happened upon a postcard for you from Joel.
    Twat.
    I happened to turn it over and read it, too. He wants to get married. Now tell me, dear, can you sleep?
    xxxxx

    ... can I be chief bridesmaid?

     
  • At 25 August, 2006 10:46 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    Happy Birthday you young thing. So glad you spent it with fluffy slippers on.

     
  • At 27 August, 2006 03:14 , Blogger Dinah said...

    Happy Birthday! mine was the 25th, so I hope you had as great a day as I did. I wore a crown - a tiara, actually, all day. Yes, I am now 22. What of it?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home