A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Reading Festival.



This seems like an apt description- but I'm not going (ha! yes! double yes!) as I don't do outdoor things; mud and wellies and fields and camping and portaloo things and everything else vaguely music festival-esque I do not do.

Which is wonderful- I was bullied into going last year, but it falls just after my birthday this time round and I've begged off on the grounds that turning twenty is traumatic enough (I'll be in the pub drinking steadily for the week before and after) without being forced to wallow knee deep in mud with hairy sweaty people listening to music I have no interest in listening to and standing in a crowd I have no interest in standing in while the people around me sway slightly- whether due to heat stroke or the buffeting effect of wind- trying to see over people's heads, missing the best bit (ie last year when Maximo Park's wonderfully sexy frontman took his shirt off AND I MISSED IT), drinking alcohol I wouldn't normally drink but been driven to by the extremity of tediousness and being stood on by people wearing New Rocks or standing on people wearing sandals, going home with either rain scold or sunburn and having my worldly possessions (in this case one of my shoes and a tin of wine- yes! I know! tinned wine!) stolen.

The fact that last year I also made friends with a couple called Larry and Starling by dint of mistaking their tent for ours and engaging in a spot of drunken gatecrashing at 4am does not make up for the myriad short comings.

I'm so glad I'm not going you wouldn't believe.

6 Comments:

  • At 20 July, 2006 12:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're still complaining about that? Get over it! You can see sexy men taking their tops off anytime- I'll do it if you pay me babe ;-)
    But the loss of the wine might be harder to get over, I mean delicacies like tinned wine are hard to come by!

    One question. Remind me where that was from?

     
  • At 20 July, 2006 13:12 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Listen Mister, haven't you got anything better to do than blog stalk me? And whats going on with this? Why is no one calling me by name any more!?

    Cue identity crisis.

    You weren't complaining about the tinned wine at the time! Bubbly from a tin; "mind the edge, we had to take a nailfile and a tin-opener to it".

    Remember?

    Oh, and one more thing; I'll let you take your top off in front of me to recreate the festival highlight I missed, but only if I can pay you in household goods :) my mommy has plenty.

     
  • At 20 July, 2006 16:55 , Blogger Clarissa said...

    So, Mogcat, you're not a hippy, then?

     
  • At 20 July, 2006 17:21 , Blogger Imogen said...

    No! No! Do NOT call me that!

     
  • At 20 July, 2006 19:59 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    I'm with you on this one, Imogen (see!). Muck, mud and mumbling morons do not a good time make.

    Now, about this 'letting Toby take his top off' business. Exactly how sexy is he and will there be pictures?

    The Host wants to know. I just said I'd ask, that's all...

    IDV xx

     
  • At 10 August, 2006 23:22 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home