A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Wandering up the pavement towards Sam the party host's place, my phone rang.
"Hello?"
"Stop."
"Katy?"
"Yes. Stop."
"Yes, but why?"
"I have a water pistol in my bag, and I'm not afraid to use it!"
"I spent hours straightening my hair, don't you dare!"

I don't know why I bothered getting all worked up; she missed spectacularly and someones petunias got a thorough watering.

We went in together, and I went into little raptures of delight over the rampant glitter (red and black) and the fairy lights scattered through the house.

Sam came over- "Im! Fabby to see you babe *air kisses* whats the news from London? Seen Queenie lately?"
And force fed me chipolatas with lashings of tomato ketchup- yum.
I'm a bad vegetarian.

"What's that smell?" I asked.
"Oh bloomin' heck, not again," he said, racing off towards the kitchen.

"What was that about?"

Flora joined in "oh, some people in the kitchen keep trying to cook pieces of sausage in the chandeliers."

Ah.

"Is it working?"

Dance dance, achey feet, pause, dance dance, trip out to the garden to cool down.

Joel made his way over to me, taking forever to do so- in flirt terms, he's worse than Toby. When he finished dancing with every reasonably attractive girl between the kitchen and me he stumbled out of the french windows and gave me a big hug- and I got death looks from half the girls in the room; they needn't bother though.
"I missed you Cupcake," he said.
I've only been away a week!
He looked all sad and gave me a cuddle, then stole some drinkies for us from a group of girls loitering in the corner near the open windows wearing obscure amounts of fake fur; to the extent I had to pick stray floaty bits out of my drink- before thinking better of it and casting it aside.

In fake fur terms, you off of blogland were right; while funny, extra hair does not enable a girl to pull.

Can't imagine why though.

------

The early part of the night was a big let down. I finally managed to get with Liam, who I've been vaguely lusting after for years- and he was rubbish.

"If I'd known you liked him, I'd have warned you," Anya said laughing as I tried to hide behind her.

------

Come 3am people started leaving in dribs and drabs, and as those left started arguing over who'd sleep in what corner I wandered outside in search for a fellow nicotine addict I could beg, borrow or steal a cigarette from- so, I managed to miss the sleep negotiations and found myself standing alone in the living room, all lights turned out and snores emanating from various corners.

"Hey," a quiet voice called from the next room. "I snaffled the couch, do you want to sleep here?"

Steady on sugar, I'm not that kind of girl.

"Cupcake, stop messing about and get over here."

-------

Now, I'm just on very touchy pins about whether this means we're going out or not.

6 Comments:

  • At 16 July, 2006 16:25 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    IDV has it right- 'melodramatic manners' indeed.
    When was the last time Joel called you anything other than 'cupcake'? Love him as we do.. you might want to check he remembers your name :-)

    What do you mean I'm a flirt!??

    Love Txxxx

     
  • At 17 July, 2006 09:25 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    Is it wrong that I love the on-going saga of this? Not sure if there is an answer to that, but I love it all the same :)

     
  • At 18 July, 2006 18:57 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Ooh, Toby. You are such a flirt!

    Don't ever change :)

    And Imogen? T's got a point. Can Joel remember your name?

    Love, IDV xx

     
  • At 19 July, 2006 00:18 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Yes!
    *stamps foot*

    I'm pretty sure he does, anyway.

     
  • At 22 July, 2006 06:56 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

     
  • At 06 August, 2006 16:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Here are some links that I believe will be interested

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home