A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Having been well brought up *cough* I always offer my seat up to old people and pregnant women. This morning as I made my way back to the flat all bright eyed, bushy tailed and still rather drunk after no sleep but lots of time spent with lots of lovely friends, I offered my seat up to a pregnant lady on the tube.
She looked shocked, then took me up on the offer with a smile. She got off before I did, and I angled my way back into the newly vacated seat with hard won skill.

In a move like mine yesterday but with a little smile rather than whatever my facial expression was doing yesterday, she turned back, leaned closer to me and said- "I'm not pregnant. Cheers for the seat though."
Oh, my. How embarrassing.
I love it though- you just would wouldn't you?

I'm having flashbacks to that time in Mothercare when I asked the lady going into raptures over baby shoes when her baby was due.

Blah. I might just stop being nice in future.

5 Comments:

  • At 06 July, 2006 21:59 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    How cunning these fatties are. Eat enough to look pregnant and the world is your oyster (which they would probably eat)!

     
  • At 07 July, 2006 11:23 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    See, fat people are jolly! Your act of kindness was in good faith. How were you to know they weren't really pregnant?

     
  • At 07 July, 2006 12:43 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A woman actually asked me if I'd give her my seat, then sat down and started reading.

    Cheeky, no?

    And it just isn't the same, asking someone to be olde-worlde polite; it's like asking someone what they want for christmas then wrapping it up.

    T x

     
  • At 07 July, 2006 15:37 , Blogger Clarissa said...

    Stop being nice. It is overrated and just gets you into trouble. Now I need to start taking my own advice! x,

     
  • At 22 July, 2006 06:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home