A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, June 26, 2006

Pot, work, rain, lesbians, Toby is not a happy bunny

We sat up late last night eating nacho's and pizza-
"it's the wrong sort.. oh, but never mind, how about we just pick out the chicken and those funny green bits?"
and fruit pastels-
"I don't like the black ones, does anybody like the black ones?"
and watched old tapes-
"which way round do you put it in the player?"
It took us a while to figure out how to work the video player, but it worked out fine thanks to handy dandy lesbian housmates; and then we watched about five straight hours of Queer as Folk US.

I hate it, I really do, but I'd forgotten just how much.

The UK version, on the other hand... I love Aidan Gillen, which might help.

Mmm. Now, where was I?

I think I drifted off for a while during one of the tours of Babylon's backroom, and woke up to find lovely lesbian housemates, um, cuddling. Averting my eyes sharpish (I love housemate A but housemate B isn't exactly my favourite person in the world. And I'm not, as such, that way inclined- lesbians don't exactly do anything for me) I crawled off to bed, Action-man like, on my belly, and hid in my room for the remainder of the night armed with a flat bottle of lemonade and half a packet of fruit pastels.

So go me, more fool them- I'd choose fruit pastels over sex any day.

Well, almost. Certainly over girl sex.

Anyway, then I found a couple of cans of beer under the bed; and woke up this morning with the imprint of a shoelace on my cheek, a sweet still in my mouth-
"my, how very attractive!", (Said in best game-show host voice; that's what my thought process sounds like. Unbearably chipper, especially when hungover.)
and cuddled up to the kettle, in what may or may not have been an aborted attempt at making a hot water bottle.
I lie still for a moment longer, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head, the sweet congealing in my mouth and the trainer in unfortunate proximity to my head, trying to remember what woke me.

"Toby!" A voice called through from the kitchen, "have you seen the kettle?"

Don't you just hate chipper people?

T x

8 Comments:

  • At 26 June, 2006 16:53 , Blogger Clarissa said...

    You have a nice style, Toby. Not so very different from the lovely Imogen's. People might spread the rumour that you are one and the same. Better do something about that. Better work on your own blog. (do you have one?)

     
  • At 26 June, 2006 17:39 , Blogger Imogen said...

    No own blog, I'm far too lazy. Is ithe adjective abuse that does it? I've been left with three rules- no swearing no block paragraphs and no bad spelling (you know the 'fanx 4 vistn' type of bad spelling).
    She said she'd remove calory stickers from everything in the fridge is I do, so I won't (yeah it's not obvious at all!!!).

    Have we lived together too long?

     
  • At 26 June, 2006 19:43 , Blogger Clarissa said...

    Oh, dear. It's possible. But lovely too.

     
  • At 26 June, 2006 23:57 , Blogger Dinah said...

    Queer as Folk "US" often films on my block - that is, when I am in the big city and not here, at home, in the middle of nowhere.

    Also, what's a fruit pastel? I'm curious, now.

    (I quite like your stories, I don't know why I've put that in brackets but I have)

     
  • At 27 June, 2006 10:15 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Fruit pastels... um. Think Wine Gums (you have those, right?) but with sugar on the outside. They're beautiful junk food.

    You might miss out big time on those, but you have Lucky Charms, right?

    Ooh but I miss Lucky Charms!

    Tx

     
  • At 27 June, 2006 10:57 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    Queer as Folk is one of my all time favourite shows! I love the US show....sorry, but the British one was so boring! I tried hard to watch it, really I did!

     
  • At 27 June, 2006 11:00 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 27 June, 2006 11:03 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    Sorry...Dora had one too many blogs open and left the wrong comment here. What a retard.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home