A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Foggy London Town

Julie's boyfriend has, at the grand old age of 24, had three girlfriends in his life- I learned this fact shortly after becoming outraged on her behalf.
He doesn't believe in love.

Who on earth doesn't believe in love?

"So," she said calmly, munching on a piece of week old pizza*, "you see, I can't tell him how much I love him, and I have to constantly remind myself not to let it slip out."
"You what?"
"Oh yes," she went on. "He doesn't believe in love."
"He what?"

He's been hurt too many times before to believe in it, apparently.

"Three?" I asked.
"Yes," she said.
"I want to ask what he's doing wrong, but I won't."
"There's nothing, he's perfect."

I don't think three girls is a suitable number to base a decision like that on, really.

"It's fine." She finished her pizza and looked at me for the first time. "I know he does love me, so it's not important, I don't really need to hear it; we're practically married, you know."
Yeah, I'd heard.

I accidentally took her out drinking, and then she went on- she really does talk about him an awful lot.
"He said he thinks we'll be together forever."
Oh. Right.
"I nearly said it then you know, the big L word, but I stopped myself."
"Why? Would he run for the hills?"
"He's not like you, Missy. Shallow. Committment phobic. Self involved"

Oh yes?

"I don't want to pressure him into anything, and it'd make him feel uncomfortable, and I don't want that; he's my lovely kitty and I want him to be happy."

Mmm, I said, looking round for something to club her with. Failing miserably and lacking another diversion, I had to start listening again.

"So.. why does he think you'll be together forever, if you don't love one another?"

"He says we're perfectly compatible," she said, crying.


Shallow and self involved I may be, but even I can see this isn't quite right; although I love many people, am currently sleeping with none (I've inadvertently wandered into some kind of celibacy zone, so don't ask, I'm not happy about it) but don't think I'm perfectly compatible with any.



*I would have told her, but it seemed mean as she'd already started... and, frankly, she deserved it.

2 Comments:

  • At 02 June, 2006 02:26 , Blogger Snooze said...

    All you can do in those situations is drink more [and more and more].

     
  • At 03 June, 2006 04:52 , Blogger Dinah said...

    I've met people who "don't believe in love", and it's quite startling to hear how they've reached that decision and how they go about things. Me, I can't stop believing in it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home