A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Frippery and Foolishness

Unlike the ladies of Wilde and Murakami, I clutch and covet my early memories, which seem a little sparse up until my fifth year.

My earliest memory involves an aborted attempt at escapism that I remember clearly; alone in my cot at night, watching the moon through bars that rapidly evolved from protective warden to hated gaoler. I remember reaching out towards the moon, and the dark shadow of my hand encircled by its silver glow; and I remember how the bar along the side of the cot hurt my belly as I leaned over the edge, clinging to it.

And then I remember falling out, heels over head, breaking my ankle.

In retrospect, I suspect this may have had something to do with having watched Disney’s ‘All Dogs Go To Heaven’, but I’m not quite sure; the release date seems to coincide. When I look back I see a pattern emerge; I can see the vast majority of the more memorable mishaps of my life are inexplicably linked to the works of Walt Disney. After watching ‘Cinderella’, I tried to catch a mouse in the cupboard under the stairs and was bitten; which resulted in a panicky trip to the doctors for various jabs of all descriptions. In the same week I won for myself a concussion trying to roll down the staircase on a piece of cut-off carpet, after watching ‘Hook’. Not long after, I fell out of a tree trying to mimic Mowgli from the ‘Jungle Book’; the Universal rating just wasn’t designed to safeguard children with no idea of What’s Safe To Do.

Yet I personally consider some of these things fortunate events, an opinion shared by few others and certainly not my mother. As a result, I’ve never been afraid of mice- a lucky trait growing up in an old house filled with mice and frequent visits from a hilariously phobic Grandmother. I’m also still capable of climbing a tree- another lucky trait in a house filled with marauding cats.

Cut to a few years later, when I was, even by my own slightly special standards, more than old enough to know better. I broke my ankle once again, along with my left wrist when I fell off the garage roof- I’d planned to jump off but I lost my nerve at the last moment, having never had much of a head for heights. Why was I on the roof? To see if I could fly. But of course! Hesitating on the edge of the roof I fell; much to vexation and distress of my careworn babysitter. It’s rare that a Disney film- ‘Peter Pan’, in this instance- doesn’t lead to a somewhat foolish action on my part.

Age eight; my playground boyfriend split my lip open as we tried for a ‘Lady and the Tramp’ moment one day at lunch. Neither of us being willing to relinquish the last inch of spaghetti, he bit my lip and once again I was scolded and carted off to A & E. I still have a teeny tiny scar from this, yet without it I suspect he’d attempt to disguise his former lack of suavity, through the time-honoured medium of straight-faced denial.

And he's something of an expert now.

Last year, the same boy accompanied me to the cinema, where we watched the latest Disney release, ‘Lilo and Stitch’. I cried, he cried. “Too much to hope for,” I thought; no one has ever passed the does-he-cry-at-the-same-time-as-me-during-a-movie test before. Thrilled, I left the movie theatre practically skipping for joy; when the left heel of my new shoes broke and I ended up in A & E yet again with a broken wrist.

I haven’t seen the new Disney film yet, but I hear it’s great.

I can’t wait.

3 Comments:

  • At 16 May, 2006 00:08 , Blogger Snooze said...

    Blogger prevented me from commenting the other day...

    This is so hilarious! I think you should sue Disney for all the pain and suffering their movies have indirectly inflicted upon you.

     
  • At 20 May, 2006 12:49 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    e
    e
    e
    e
    e
    e
    e
    E
    E
    E
    E
    E

    Heads up!

    E
    E
    E

    SMASH!

    Whoops! Straight through the roof. It's only student accomodation, isn't it?

     
  • At 22 May, 2006 17:06 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Hey! What do you mean, only student accomodation!?

    Although... If you're going to smash my flat to smithereens, think you could do something a tad more extensive? Like take out the leaky windows and do something that means it'll need redecorating?

    OK, so I don't like orange and brown.
    *shudders*

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home