A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Monday, April 24, 2006

All of a dither

I'm not usually one to shy away from the limelight, but I prefer my audience not to openly mock me.

There's this girl, you see, who we'll call Rosie as that is her name; I haven't changed anybody's names here, as I realise if I did I'd forget and there'd be huge gaping irrevocably discordant elements to the stories, as Vera changes to Alice who changes to Karen who changes to Beatrice who changes to Donna who maybe changes to Susan, who might eventually change to Karl as I get more and more confused. I could do this for hours.
You can see where this is going already, can't you?

Procrastination.

It's one of the things I really am remarkably remarkable at.

As a result of teeming and distracting uncertainty as to what to do about Rosie, coffee and my favourite book of the year so far are no longer helping. Far from it, in fact.
So! I've turned to Jane Austen for solace; she was right about everything else after all, so why shouldn't she be right about the courting rituals of the modern human? In depth study is making it clear to me that relationships aren't just about Willoughby's good looks and charm, or Wickham's easy manner; they're based on other, deeper things.
Leaving out Hugh Grant's endearing stutter, and Gwyneth Paltrow's strangely seductive accent.

This is, of course, proving to be something of a revelation to me.

6 Comments:

  • At 25 April, 2006 12:30 , Blogger Snooze said...

    Procrastination is my vice as well.

     
  • At 25 April, 2006 13:58 , Blogger Fuckkit said...

    Procrastination is one of my favourite things to do.

    Who's Rosie?

     
  • At 25 April, 2006 15:57 , Blogger Lee said...

    I love Jane Austin. Why Imogen, shall we take a turn around the room?

    :)

     
  • At 26 April, 2006 03:56 , Blogger B said...

    mmmmmmm......Hugh Grant

    I just saw him in "American Dreamz" which is quite possibly the best piece of satire that I've seen in awhile. If it releases across the pond, you should definitely check it out.

     
  • At 26 April, 2006 06:20 , Blogger Dinah said...

    I am fairly sure that I assigned some people a blog name, and then reverted back to their real names, which is confusing but also gives the impression that I have a lot more friends than I actually do.

    But yes. Austen does know everything.

     
  • At 28 April, 2006 11:12 , Blogger Devine Dora said...

    It is a hard, hard thing to keep up the ruse of calling yourself a fake name...and your sister for that matter.
    But, we did decide that because I like to bitch about my parents and anyone even remotely connected to me, it may be better to go with fake names.
    Also the fact I could get the sack for calling my boss a sexual predator and my clients retards.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home