A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Of Travels and Tourism

I've just found a grey hair, and pullled it out.
As such, I'm going to tell a story of the days when I was young and hip, decidedly grubby and found the idea of hitchhiking across a couple of continents rather appealing.
Yeah, it's been a while.
And I've just come off the phone to some friends I made when I was scraping my way through India, and they demanded to know when I was going back.
Our door's always open for you!

While doing the whole travelling on the cheap thing, I spent many a night sleeping on trains, buses and in airports- and on many a roof and two bathroom floors, but that's not the point here. If I'd tried the roof trick in Russia I'd have caught hypothermia and died. And, of course, probably rolled off the roof into a snowdrift, or such like.
Now, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I hate having things on my feet. I may simply adore shoes, but not indoors.
Curled up in my seat on the Trans-Siberian, bare feet revelling in their escape from the confines of thick socks and hiking boots, I fell asleep. Waking, I found a group of Russian vendors gathered around the window, jostling one another as they crowded round the gap.
It took me slightly longer to work out where I was, and.. "hang on, aren't we still moving?"
Nothing gets past me.

The guy on the seat opposite, a fellow traveller but somewhat more of a native (he clearly knew what he was doing; he even brought a cloth-on-a-stick to scrape the layers of caked on dirt from the window pane) was leaning out of the window bartering with the vendors in Russian.
My Russian is extremely limited; I decided not to spend too muich time at all in Russia after spending two years studying Russian history at A-level.
Communism? Good in theory, a complete disaster in practice.

This being so, I didn't quite realise what he was doing.
Where are my boots?

He turned back to me with a big smile and gave me a handful of roubles.
Is good price, buy you better shoes, he said.

4 Comments:

  • At 21 April, 2006 01:07 , Blogger B said...

    He turned back to me with a big smile and gave me a handful of roubles.
    Is good price, buy you better shoes, he said.


    Well isn't that just damn disappointing! I'd have been pissed!

     
  • At 21 April, 2006 14:45 , Blogger Imogen said...

    The best bit, of course, is that I didn't have any other shoes with me.
    So, obviously enough, he gave me a piggy-back in the direction of the nearest shoe vendor.

    Ahh, memories.

     
  • At 22 April, 2006 02:05 , Blogger Snooze said...

    That is so hilarious and perfectly illustrates the adventures of travelling on the cheap. You are fantastic.

     
  • At 25 April, 2006 06:09 , Blogger Mone said...

    He just wanted to do something good for you, maybe your boots did'nt fit in with the weather :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home