A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

All of a Dither- the start of it all

The setting is three days after Christmas, a worryingly dingy little cafe where one can buy breakfast for the price of a coffee in Starbucks. For most of the Christmas break, if anyone had been around to look, I could be found moping in the corner of this dingy little spot; but this day was a bit more special, as I determinedly savoured my last day of loneliness.
Bloody hate Christmas. Love my friends. But that's another story, innit?

Nursing my coffee and staring into space, I jumped when she came over, drawing aside the gargantuan plant obscuring the many layers of grime that, in turn, obsured the window pane and turned the bright winter sunlight into a murky green glow.
"Anyone sitting here?" She demanded, throwing her bag down on the table and throwing herself into a seat.
"Well, I guess not," I said slightly sulkily, blinking in the sudden light. She tossed her windswept hair back from her face using her forearm, an action that looked for all the world like it was lifted from a shampoo advert. Except I doubt shampoo models would have got rain across the table and all over their new coffee acquaintance.

"Here," she said then, pulling a sodden book out of her water-logged bag. "You left this in the SU bar about a week ago- I meant to give it back to you before now, but I wanted to read it first."

Plato's Symposium.

I watched as a puddle slowly spread from the book to the table, moving only to rescue my coffee before it was swept away in the tide of slowly oozing rain water..
"Well!" She said defensively, "it was in fine condition when I had it! You have it back for.. " She looked at her watch. ".. About a minute and it's all tatty. Is that anyway for you to treat a book?"
Well indeed; I assume she was talking about the state of my uni course books, which are all well written on.

Despite having never seen her before, I began to see a whole lot more of her; within the week she was showing me a new side to the city, as she showed me how to sneak into almost anywhere.
I won't go into too much detail about the time she dragged me off to a safari park, on discovering I'd never seen a wolf, monkey, rhino, giraffe or similar wild beasties, because it was evidently a big big mistake.
"No! I'm not going to nature!"
"But you are though!"
"No! I'm not! Nature's come to me already- have you not seen the ants in my flat!?"

Argh, and she made me feed some four legged beastie as well, while we were there; from watching Bambi, I'll take a guess and accuse them of being deers.
Ick, je n'aime pas.


More recently, I was in bed, idly drawing patterns into the darkness with my index finger and a thought hit me.

"Shit, I think I fancy Rosie."

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home