A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Brief History

I have certain indefinable qualms regarding putting objects in my eye- although one could be forgiven for not realising this, based on how often I stab myself in the eye while applying eyeliner.
As a result of this, I'm somewhat leery about using contacts- and as I'm clumsy clumsy clumsy I have this tendency to get through glasses like.. like.. a wayward child(?), although the sad demise of my last pair was not entirely my fault, as such; they were in my bag when the contents of my purse were liberated. I can't imagine what anybody would want with a pair of prescription glasses for the borderline blind, but it means I get to go glasses shopping.
Which I adore- it's better than the thrill I get when underwear shopping, but doesn't quite reach the, occasionally quite literal, dizzying heights of shoe shopping.

My first pair of glasses were, it pains me to say, turquoise. This is a perfect example of why children shouldn't be allowed to go glasses shopping alone, and the turquoise bit on the outer rim began to peel after about two weeks of wear; which meant I spent the next year wearing patchy faux gold and turquoise glasses.
Imaginably, school photographs for that year are not exactly my favourite things ever.
Fortunately though, things could only really improve from there; until the point maybe three years later when I broke a pair (gold, round, like the ones your grandfather wears, but slightly smaller) shortly after having been bought them. Being decidedly charmless, my mother wouldn't buy me another pair, which means I got to spend abut six months wearing glasses, Harry Potter style, patched together with sticky tape.
Except this is a fair few years ago, so I was doing it long before JK Rowling thunk it up.

My new pair are quite cute, as these things go. They're black and really rather thick- none of this rimless, nondescript shennanigans; with these, you can certainly tell I'm wearing them. But they don't make me want to cower in shame, and I feel quite high up in the style stakes. Who knows, maybe I'll even stop wearing contacts when I go out at night.
Glasses, confidence inducing?
Who'd have thunk it.

6 Comments:

  • At 07 April, 2006 14:19 , Blogger B said...

    they sound awesome----the glasses


    i wish i looked cute in glasses....sadly though, i don't

     
  • At 07 April, 2006 20:27 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    I too have a pair of the black rimmed variety (eeeewwww - sounds so vile), but am a contact wearer by default. I find that even on the drunkest of nights, I still remember to take my lenses out before I fall comatose into bed (without poking my eys out, too).
    How does this happen? Do you manage this spectacular (awful, awful pun) feat?

     
  • At 08 April, 2006 06:41 , Blogger Mr McGuinness said...

    I used to have bad eyesight until 1998 when I had my eyes surgically removed and replaced with pingpong balls. It's a great icebreaker at parties.

     
  • At 08 April, 2006 16:54 , Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

    Here's the 'e' I forgot.

     
  • At 09 April, 2006 21:38 , Blogger Snooze said...

    I need glasses now. I can't stand the thought of putting contacts in my eyes. Glad you found a pair of glasses you love!

     
  • At 09 April, 2006 22:30 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Commenting and posting will be somewhat sparse for a while, as my beautiful shiny silver laptop has chosen the Easter break to die on me.
    Hopefully it's still not quite dead, but... bear with me. I never did spend enough time on the whole first aid thing; and I'm a complete technophobe, which doesn't help much.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home