A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Trials and Tribulations

Joy of joys; I had my bikini line waxed today.

First things first- I hate the whole hair removal thing, but it certainly beats being hirsute and self-conscious. And I get more than suitably self conscious when wearing skimpy clothes/ in bikini-esque situations due to the key genetic betrayal which lead to my knees.
I am very definitely not a fan.

I walked down the stairs, head down and giving myself a continuous mental pep talk to avoid bolting and running for the hills. The nice lady stuffed a tissue back up her sleeve and came up to me; "Hello! How may I help you?"
English clearly wasn't her first language; grammatically correct it might be, but no native speaker uses the word 'may' in place of 'can'. Giving her my rabbit caught in the headlights look, I muttered something about bikini waxage and appointment, and 11am, and also Clarke. She gestured towards the back room and I went with a face probably not dissimilar to that of a small child at bedtime.

Cut to ten minutes later. "Lean back," she said, "relax it won't hurt. I have a cold, hasn't the weather been awful lately?"
It won't hurt?
Yeah, right, of course it bloody hurts. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and leaned back, following instructions like a good girl.

She bent over me, still chattering away inanely- reminding me awfully of the time when, aged six, the dentist rudely pulled out one of my overlapping teeth whilst distracting me with a photograph and talk about his daughter.
Just goes to show two things- one, that the whole skirt lifting thing is clearly a nature over nurture thing, and two, trust noone.
She ripped the wax away and a split second later I felt something cool drip onto my stomach.
I clenched my eyes even more tightly shut.
It was just wax, just wax, just wax, OK.
Just wax.

Fuck.

I opened my eyes and peeked out at her as she rubbed her nose ruefully on her sleeve.

79 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home