A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Instant gratification

I just went for an emergency run to the shop for coffee and ice-cream; an innocent enough venture, I'm sure you'll agree. On the way back, my attention was drawn by a horde of giggling schoolgirls gathered around a notice by the entrance to my building- a relief, as I have instant paranoia, that generally kicks in when im alone and i hear people laughing for no discernable reason. Pushing past, I notice a printout stuck by the door, with what would appear to be wallpaper paste- but as I have less than no interest in DIY-esque things, I wouldn't stake my bear factory card on it. I took a photo, as, y'no, this is Britain, and it'll probably get rained on horribly soon and its words of wisdom will soon be forgotten forever.

"I am finding it very difficult to sleep at night with your noise. I appreciate you have moments of lust however i am being woken up by it at all hours repeatedly every night and morning and it is not pleasant. Why not try the more fruitful approach of the kitchen table in future so i cannot hear? Many thanks."

Despite the obvious lack of commas, I found this hilarious, and began giggling with the rest of the crowd, only to be shocked into silence when I noticed the number of the flat.
Freakishly Maternal Lady's abode.
What is the world coming to?

EDIT: Fine. I've been railroaded into babysitting for her kids- triplets, and they're all monsters and very small- while she tries to forcibly remove the notices that are scattered throughout the building. I agreed to all this, something I put down to shock and utter disillusionment, but it wasn't until I caught her chipping away at the one on our landing and sacrificing her nails that I had to put my foot down and insist she use a butter knife- its what any good neighbour would have done, but i'm still trying to work out when I was upgraded to this post.
Will i have to share my ice-cream with her?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home