A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Bruise pristine 2

As mentioned previously, I come from a teeny tiny rural backwater, where any venture outdoors initiates a flurry of heads peeping round doors and lacy curtains, and the necessity of making idle conversation with at least one of the neighbours, and this is a hard habit to absolve- I've lived in London for over a year under the guise of doing studenty things, and I still find myself expecting to have to exchange pointless pleasantries with a chance aquaintance, but it turns out my paranoia with regards to visits to Ann Summers and the like isn't entirely unfounded; one of my many very distant relations has apparently caught sight of me and the Bruise ("doing what", I clamour to ask, but I'm scared of the answer), and decided to call my parents and share this information. Which brought on the following conversation with my mother-

"Have you been involved in those riots Imogen?"
"What riots?"
"The riots that have been on the news!"
"Oh. Those riots. Erm, no- Mum? I don't go to uni in Birmingham, I live in London."
"So?"
"So, um, no, I wasn't there?"

OK, so my mother scares me. But I haven't been involved in any riots or political marches, or anthing else that might involve close contact with other people- no, not even that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home