A Melodrama Of Manners

"The only way to guarantee attention in this day and age," he said, "is to ensure that you will be wearing the biggest hat in the room."

Thursday, June 21, 2007

We're getting maaaarried in the morrrrrning

I rather fancy the idea of being a divorcee before I'm twenty-two, I told her.
What are you talking about now?
Oh, yes. Didn't I mention I not only got unceremoniously dumped, but also jilted? At the very altar, so to speak?
What on earth are you talking about, Dolly?
Oh. So I forgot to tell you we were going to get married?

I had it all planned. Hallo, I'd say at those awkward family gatherings and when meeting up with old friends. Did I mention I got married at the weekend? And then I set to work pursuading the groom-to-be, which took remarkably little effort.

Toby said he could think of more sensible jokes. Yes, but with the same amount of comedy potential? I asked. He went on to suggest a plastic flower that squirts water at people, or an electric shock ring.

At this stage, I rather feel I have nothing to lose. Anyone fancy getting hitched? Tickets for Las Vegas, booked and paid for by the absent original fiance. Suitably seedy registry office affair intended, and non-negotiable. Bride-to-be is twenty, a size eight, brunette and a good catch. Even if the original groom-to-be is of a somewhat different opinion.

I used to be a feminist. No point anymore now I'm engaged.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 21 June, 2007 11:28 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Darling, glad to see you've brightened up a notch, but I have to pick a fault. You're not engaged as such yet, are you?

    I'm a bit upset you didn't think of me before advertising on t'internet - I'll marry you for a trip to Vegas. xxxx

     
  • At 21 June, 2007 11:33 , Blogger Imogen said...

    Engaged in potentia. I have such a sparlking personality I imagine it won't be potentia for very long.


    And no. I'm not marrying you. I didn't think it was necessary to add 'Wedding night non-negotiable.' I bloody want a wedding night.

     
  • At 21 June, 2007 11:44 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK. Fine. But I don't think you're advertising yourself well. Might I suggest ::: Buxom brunette smoker with painfully sharp elbows, high heel fetish, big green eyes and cute smile, clinically unusual with often bizzarre sense of humour and the world's only feminist who has multiple lunches bought for her by men twice her age in Claridges seeks-
    -literally anything with an appendage who can guarantee her a wedding night. She's really really desperate.

    ... No need to thank me. xxxxxx

     
  • At 21 June, 2007 11:48 , Blogger Imogen said...

    *stares*

    . . . Shouldn't you be working?

     
  • At 21 June, 2007 12:13 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good point well made. Good luck with the searchxxxxx

     
  • At 23 June, 2007 01:11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hooray! It's good to have you back, dear! I wondered what you'd been up to.

    Sorry about the boy. Men are so irritating.

     
  • At 25 June, 2007 09:32 , Blogger Moggy said...

    Ahh, such a great post to read first thing on a Monday morning. I am entirely at your disposal for a trip to Las Vegas including wedding night shennanigans (sp?). How do we get it organised? I don't have much planned this weekend, or even the next. Happpy to oblige. (My divorce should be through any day now but don't let that minor detail hinder.)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home